Tuesday, July 14, 2026

Gone With the Wind | The Messages and Conclusions within

Hattie McDaniel who plays "Mammy", was the first African American to win an Academy Award.

Watching Gone with the Wind in class was extremely entertaining- I learned many lessons and drew many conclusions throughout the first part of the movie, and I would like to share them here.

Starting with the characters, I liked how each one was a little different. While they are almost nothing like the people we know today, they each carry an important message with them. 

For example, Mammy, one of the O'Hara's slaves, was nothing short of a firecracker. She was witty and held others accountable, which was interesting to see during that time period; that she may be so bold without consequence. It helped me realize that black and white people were more connected than I had thought. Looking deeper into it, we see how common it was during that time for black people to raise white children while their mothers were working or being social.

Another character that I found fascinating was Clark Gable's, Rhett Butler. Butler was an interesting man for this time period as someone who was a part of the war, even when he did not act like it. He was very different from the rest of the men in this era, who were excited by war. Rhett performed his duties but was more focused on the profit he got and the social experiences around him. I think this can be connected to our day and age, how politicians benefit from war and misfortune. It is devastating to see, but it is very common. 

Rhett Butler and Scarlett O'Hara
Along with those two, I think Scarlett's character was well played. Someone who was supposed to be prim and proper was forced to change because of the environment that surrounded her. I liked that she was full of different emotions; I felt it encased the female perspective well. She was bright, sassy, empathetic, caring, angry, and every other feeling one could express. We simply were made to feel. And she had all the reason to be these things- this time period was stressful and took a toll on the people who lived in it.

Even though slavery is played down, we do see what slaves may have truly been treated like in the scene where Scarlett helped Melanie give birth. The young slave, Prissy, was naturally afraid and panicked by these events. Scarlett slapped and screamed at Prissy. It was understandable that Scarlett was upset; Prissy did lie after all. But the way she displayed and took out her frustration and anger on the poor, young girl, was terrible. This is just a small testament that reveals how slaves were really treated.

I would also like to touch on the reality of this movie. I think it beautifully captured what human connection looks like. Seeing the romance build and fall between Scarlett and Ashley, and then Rhett, was captivating and kept me on the edge of my seat. However, I think these events overshadow the horrifying truths of slavery. Furthermore, I don't think it was an accurate representation of what life was like then. 

The movie does feel very exaggerated, but who am I to say this wouldn't have ever happened? We see things every day we couldn't begin to imagine would come true!

Overall, I adored watching Gone with the Wind. Every part of the movie was enticing and kept me wanting more. And putting my enjoyment aside, I think there were plenty compelling stories and truths planted throughout it.

No comments:

Post a Comment